ANAO Audit of the Bureau of Meteorology
1st September 2018
The Australian National Audit Office is undertaking a performance audit of the Bureau of Meteorology's delivery of extreme weather services.
???????The audit will examine whether:
- The Bureau's planning appropriately supports its ability to respond to extreme weather events
- The Bureau manages it operational resources effectively in responding to extreme weather events
- ???????The Bureau's assessment and reporting on the performance of its extreme weather services is fit for purpose.
???????The audit scope includes:
- bushfires, heatwaves;
- cyclones, damaging/destructive winds, blizzards;
- thunderstorms, heavy rainfall, flooding, flash floods, tsunamis, surf and storm tides;
- space weather (e.g. solar flares affecting GPS); and
- weather related aspects of bio-security incidents and pandemics.
Services delivered by the Bureau to be examined include:
- monitoring and prediction
- communications; and
- capability development.